09 December 2013

Scale Modelling

Way back in the early 80's there was:
- No Internet (ergo no Facebook, no on-line gaming, etc)
- No DVDs (we had to go the cinema to see a film, and if we waited 4-5 years it "might" turn up on TV as a 4:3 ratio pan-and-scan)
- No game consoles (WTF? No C.O.D?)
- No mobile phones (see No Internet)

As kids we had to go out and make our own fun (shooting at each other with slug(BB) guns or building go-carts from old lawn mower engines were favorites I recall), actually call up friends and talk to them live, and for some of us kids (particularly boys, which was unfortunate) building plastic kitsets was a hobby that allowed us to re-live some of the things we saw on TV and the movies, stretch our imaginations a little, and be a little bit creative to boot.
Well, after nearly 30 years of not building kits, I have decided to have another go at building some of the kits from my childhood, and some new ones too hopefully! I have a particular fancy for the Maschinen Krieger series (or SF3D as it was called back in the 80's). These kitsets were the benchmark in design and detail back in the early to mid eighties. They included mixed media parts (springs, wire, tubing, photoetch, etc), well defined sprues, and were completely unique in design. Back then they were very expensive as far as kitsets went, more-so than your typical tank or fighter plane, but I did my best to save up and buy a few. I ended up building one kit to completion, The Raccoon, and started on several others including the Krote, Jerry, and PKA Gustav. Unfortunately by the time I was in my late teens my interest in modelling had waned (other "interests" took over my attention!). I was in my last couple of years at school and was heading to university, so kits got packed away and forgotten. I went overseas for a time, and all of my belongings were put into storage. The upshot was, by the time I got around to showing any kind of interest again, I had lost all but two of the kits (The completed Raccoon and almost complete Krote) and only had the camo cards from the other kits. Sigh.
I made the decision to complete the Krote, referencing some awesome websites like I Luv Ma.K, Maschinen Krueger and Ma.K In Action, and also look to buying the old kits that I lost. Retraining myself in the craft of building and finishing kitsets, to the highest standard I can, is going to be a long haul I suspect!
And so, my journey begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment